HEY HEY HEY!
Welcome or welcome back to my blog!
When I first started this blog in April 2020 (I can not believe it has been 9 months!) the environment was going to be something I talked about a lot however I kind of got carried away with recipes and posts that other bloggers were producing meaning the the environment side of my blog was neglected however, in 2021, you are going to see a lot more environment posts 🙂 The environment is something I am passionate about and a lot of the time, I think, we could treat the world a lot more kindly. Today I am going to share 5 ways you can help the environment without having to make massive changes within your life. Remember every little thing helps!
5 ways you can help the environment:
- Turn off lights in rooms you are not using. This seems so simple but the amount of people who have more than the necessary amount of lights turned on in their house at any time is enormous (me included, the amount of times I accidently leave on the bathroom light after I’m finished in the bathroom – oops however it’s something I’m really working on this year). Turning off the lights you don’t need will save electricity meaning we won’t have to burn as much fossil fuels reducing greenhouse gas emissions and it will also save you money on your electricity bill. I don’t have a figure but if everyone in the world turned off unnecessary lights then I’m pretty sure we would cut down on an immense amount of fossil fuel burning.
- Consume less meat. I have definitely talked about Meat-Free Monday on here before (for new readers – my family and I don’t eat meat on a Monday) and that will be continuing into 2021. If everyone in the world didn’t eat meat for one day a week imagine how many animal’s lives would be saved! This year I am trying to eat less meat all week – not just on a Monday – and so far it’s going really well! I’d love to go full time vegetarian however my family won’t let me because it’d be to hard to cook for a vegetarian, which I totally understand, so for now I’m just eating as little meat as possible and I encourage you to too!
- Try to but from small businesses. Buying from small businesses not only allows very small companies to grow but it could decrease your carbon footprint. For example if you bought a print from etsy (etsy is literally my favourite site; it’s a platform for small businesses to sell their products) instead of from amazon then it’s much more likely to be shipped from somewhere in the UK or Europe rather than China. This is good for environment as it reduces the amount of travelling, and therefore fuel put into the atmosphere, your print does to get to you. Also if you order from a small business, the “ingredients” (I can not think of the proper word so ingredients will have to do ahah) are more likely to be locally sourced which is also better for the environment.
- Be less wasteful. I guess this covers a wide range of things and this can be applied to everything and anything. Today I’m going to on clothes – I feel like a lot of people are quite wasteful when it comes to throwing away clothes when possibly they could still wear it or it could be donated to a charity shop or even sold on apps like ‘depop’ or ‘vinted’. Giving your clothes a second life will help people who possibly don’t have enough money to but new clothes and rely on second-hand clothes and it avoids the amount of clothes that get thrown into landfill. This year I am going to try hard to donate any clothes that are in good condition to charity shops.
- Turn the tap off whilst brushing your teeth. I’ve never understood why people leave the tap running whilst brushing their teeth but I know a lot of people do so this year please try to make an effort to turn off the tap when brushing your teeth. I know the majority of my audience in British however some are from the USA so here is a figure (and whatever country you live in, it will just show the scale of how much such a simple task can help): turning off the tap whilst brushing your teeth could save 5 gallons of water per day. That is 1.5 billion gallons of water per year across the USA. Think of where all that water could be going to be used usefully!!
That is all for today’s post. Even if you just complete one of these small changes to your daily life then you will be making a change! Look out for more environment posts just like this one in your readers tab because there will be lots more coming!
QOTB: Comment one thing you are going to try to do in 2021 to help the environment.
the blog girl <3xxx
THIS website is really good for facts and other easy ways to help the environment.